The University of Pittsburgh German Department is home to a chapter of Delta Phi Alpha, the National German Honor Society. The Honor Society seeks to recognize excellence in the study of German and to provide an incentive for higher scholarship. Delta Phi Alpha aims to promote the study of the German language, literature and civilization.
Benefits of the membership include:
- Involvement in the annual induction ceremony on Pitt’s campus
- Eligibility to apply for Study Abroad Scholarships
- Availability of honors cords for graduation
- Receive a custom, embossed membership certificate and membership pin
Qualifications for student membership are as follows:
- A minimum of two (2) years of college / university German or equivalent
- At least sophomore standing with regard to completed credit hours, as determined by the home institution
- A minimum GPA of B+ (3.3 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent in all German courses taken
- A minimum GPA of B- (2.7 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent in all courses of study at the college / university level
- Indication of continued interest in the study of German language, literature, and culture as indicated by official registration in an advanced course or its equivalent.
How can I join?
- Contact the Delta Phi Alpha chapter faculty advisor, Dr. Jaclyn Kurash at firstname.lastname@example.org about your interest.
- Your chapter faculty advisor will submit the application materials for students within their constituent chapters.
- The membership fee is $25, which is due after your eligibility has been confirmed by the administration at Pitt.
- All new and current members are invited to attend the Annual Induction Ceremony and take part in the festivities.
- Each new member receives a custom, embossed membership certificate and a membership pin.
- Honors cords are available for purchase for members only. The cost is $15.
Delta Phi Alpha members from active chapters are eligible to apply for the following scholarships:
- Spring / Summer German Study Abroad Scholarship ($1250 and $500). Deadline for application is November 15.
- Fall / Winter German Study Abroad Scholarship ($1250 and $500). Deadline for application is March 15.
For more details on the scholarship application process, go to http://deltaphialpha.org/funding/scholarships/